Family Medicine involves caring for the medical needs of individuals and families. The family physician has the expertise and training to treat over 90% of patients’ medical needs. Sharing in the joy of the birth of a child, nurturing the growth and development of an adolescent, helping an adult maintain a fulfilling life of optimal physical and psychological health, and giving dignity to an aging grandparent by delivering quality care over a period of years: these are just a few of the many satisfactions of practicing Family Medicine.
You may be interested in Family Medicine if:
- You value long-term interpersonal relationships with patients and families.
- You desire a stable schedule, balanced lifestyle, and variety in work.
- You wish to have a large number of residency options available to you.
Additional perks of Family Medicine:
- Wide breadth of knowledge and skill sets
- Variety of residency and practice location options
- High overall physician satisfaction
- Opportunity to educate patients on health best practices
- High match rate for LLUSM students (LLUSM ranks third nationwide for graduating family physicians)
- Opportunities to participate in international medical mission work
- Key element in the future of healthcare reform
- Subspecialty options: Geriatric, Sports, Adolescent, Sleep, and Palliative Medicine, as well as Obstetrics and Urgent Care