Welcome, future leaders in healthcare!
The combined Family and Preventive Medicine (FPM) Residency Program at Loma Linda University (LLU) offers incredible opportunities for medical training, ultimately equipping our residents to be board-eligible for both Family Medicine and Preventive Medicine specialties and enabling us to earn our Masters of Public Health (MPH) degrees from the LLU School of Public Health.
While our residents possess an array of clinical interests and professional aspirations, our core unifying passions include lifestyle medicine, global/local service, quality improvement, and leadership development. Thus, the residency curriculum consists of several unique rotations and experiences that allow residents to foster growth in these four specific areas.
On any given day, you will find our combined FPM residents engaging in a wide range of exciting activities, including:
- Cultivating meaningful relationships with our patients and leading quality improvement projects at our Federally Qualified Health Center-based continuity clinic located in a medically-underserved community.
- Participating in whole-person care during “Love Rounds” while rotating on the Family Medicine inpatient service at an LLU-affiliated community hospital.
- Analyzing infectious disease patterns with epidemiologists at the local public health department.
- Developing strategies for population risk stratification at a regional managed care organization.
- Staffing inpatient wards and conducting clinical research at Malamulo Hospital in Malawi, Africa.
- Expanding our biostatistical repertoire through participation in group projects as part of our MPH coursework.
- Honing our motivational interviewing skills in an effort to promote sustainable lifestyle changes in the management of chronic disease for patients in a variety of inpatient/outpatient settings.
We invite you to learn more about our amazing program by exploring our website, following us on Facebook, and connecting with us by email.
Please do not hesitate to reach out – we are delighted to support your efforts in finding a residency program (hopefully ours!) that aligns with your personal mission/vision for pioneering the primary care movement and creating a worldwide health epidemic!
Christen Cuevas, MD, MPH
LLU FPMR Chief Resident
Lucas Shanholtzer, MD, MPH
LLU FPMR Chief Resident